The extracts below are from the work of the Reverend. John Collinson, who was vicar of Long Ashton during the later 18th century. He devoted his career to research on the history of Somerset, especially on the gentry families, their estates and the descent of their manors. Shortly before his death in 1791 at the age of 36 his work was published in 3 large volumes entitled ‘The History and Antiquities of Somerset (1791)’. This also contains information on topography, church architecture and natural history which was contributed by Edmund Rack of Bath, who was Secretary of what became the Bath and West of England Agricultural Society. The 3 volumes remain a major source for the history of the parishes of Somerset.